Sony Increases Dolby TrueHD Support, Introduces New Subtitle Feature with 'Immortal Beloved' Blu-rayPosted Thu Jun 21, 2007 at 12:32 PM PDT by
- Posted Wed Jun 20, 2007 at 05:55 AM PDT by
Posted Thu Jan 4, 2007 at 01:16 PM PST by
In another last-minute announcement, LG will finally be premiering its on-again/off-again Blu-ray/HD DVD combo player -- the world's first -- at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.Continue Reading
Posted Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 11:41 AM PDT by
A potential big boost in HD DVD storage technology, Toshiba has unveiled a new prototype "triple layer" HD DVD/DVD that promises to double the capacity of current combo discs.Continue Reading
Posted Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 02:40 PM PDT by
Move over, BD-50! TDK earlier today unveiled a prototype 200GB multi-layer Blu-ray disc at the IFA conference in Berlin, Germany.Continue Reading
Posted Mon May 15, 2006 at 11:32 AM PDT by
While you're waiting for the price of Blu-ray and HD DVD players to come down, New Medium Enterprises is hoping that you'll drop a Benjamin or two on a Versatile Multilayer Disc (VMD). VMD provides a high def image using Red-ray technology, which compresses more digital information onto a disc than the standard DVD, but less than an HD or Blu-ray disc.
London-based New Medium is partnering with Chinese hardware supplier Beijing E-World to deliver the first VMD-compatible hardware to the US. The first VMD player to hit US markets will be priced at $150 and will be backward compatible with standard DVD content.
While they haven't announced which titles, New Medium is promising 100 VMD releases by September, priced at $25 per disc.
Essentially a third high def format, the proponents of Red-ray technology are hoping to find a foothold in the market with consumers who want high-def playback, but don't want to pay for developing HD and Blu-ray technology. Rather than a shift in format, New Medium conceives of itself as providing the next incremental step in the quality of DVD players.Continue Reading
Posted Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 10:14 AM PST by
We know you need another high-def DVD format like you need a hole in the head, but that's just what London-based New Medium Enterprises is planning to introduce later this year. The company has developed the Versatile Multi-Layer Disc (VMD), a multi-layer disc technology that promises equal or greater storage capacity to existing HD-DVD and Blu-Ray high-def formats, and cheaper player and disc costs.
Wisely, New Medium isn't planning to introduce the format in the U.S. anytime soon, so as to avoid direct competition with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, which are due to hit the domestic market this spring backed by both strong manufacturer and studio support.
"We don't want to be in collision with the big guys," said COO Eugene Levich, adding that the company will promote VMD first in China and India later this year, followed by Eastern Europe, Russia and South America. "[That's] enough for a small company like us. Those markets are a good chunk of business."
Even if VMD is successful overseas, it faces an uphill struggle here in the U.S, where it has absolutely zero manufacturer and studio support. Still, given the the numerous delays that continue to plague both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, who knows -- at this rate, VMD could just beat them both to market.Continue Reading
LATEST NEWS BLU-RAY
- Coming Soon to Blu-ray: 'Marshall,' 'Victoria & Abdul,' and More
- Marvel Releases Official Trailer for 'Black Panther'
- Fox Debuts Trailer for 'X-Men' Spinoff 'The New Mutants'
- Coming Soon to Blu-ray: 'South Park,' 'Rebel in the Rye,' and More
- Disney Reveals New 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Trailer
- Legendary Unleashes First 'Pacific Rim: Uprising' Trailer
- Coming Soon to Blu-ray: 'Flatliners,' 'Jungle,' and More
- Coming Soon to Blu-ray: 'Wind River,' James Cameron's 'Piranha II: The Spawning,' and More
- 'Annabelle: Creation' Blu-ray Bound
- Paramount Preps 'Transformers' Series for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray
- 'Blade Runner 2049' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray Up for Pre-Order
- 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Delayed Indefinitely
- 'It' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray Up for Pre-Order
- Amazon Launches 3 for $50 Deal on Select 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays
- 'Jumanji' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Remastered Blu-ray Announced
- 'Despicable Me 3' Dated & Detailed for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and Blu-ray
- Doug Liman's 'American Made' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray Up for Pre-Order
- Dario Argento's 'Suspiria' Heads to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray
- HDD First Look: LG OLED TV Cinema House Powered by Dolby
- Netflix Releases Final 'Stranger Things' Season Two Trailer
- Movies Anywhere Digital Service Launches with Disney, Fox, Universal, Sony, & Warner Bros.
- Hulu Offers Limited Time $6 Subscription Plan for New Users
- Luxury Technology Show Fall 2017: Premium Headphones, Speakers, and Sound Bars
- This Week in Gear: LG Sponsors PaleyFest, Samsung Details New Mixed Reality Headset, and More
- Coming Soon to Streaming: 'Future Man,' 'Fearless,' and More
- BenQ Releases HT1070A's 1080p Projector for $649
- VUDU, Google Play, and Amazon Lower their Prices for 4K Ultra HD Digital Titles
THE BONUS VIEW
- SteelBook Alert: Pop Goes the Artwork
- ‘Fear the Walking Dead’ Season 3 Finale Recap: “What a Perverse Family You Have”
- Unboxed and Deconstructed: The ‘Close Encounters’ Ultra HD Gift Set
- Weekend Box Office: Out of the Jaws of Death
- Blu-ray Highlights: Week of October 15th, 2017 – Back in the Swing of Things
- Weekend Roundtable: Bad Lawyers
- ‘The Florida Project’ Review: The Magic of Reality
- Weekend Movies: Bio-pics Aplenty
- ‘Happy Death Day’ Review: Crap Rinse Repeat