A few weeks ago, I wrote about Dolby’s new theatrical surround sound format, called Atmos, that promises to revolutionize the way that movie soundtracks are created and presented. At the time, I’d received a brief demo of the system at Dolby Labs’ headquarters in San Francisco, and was pretty impressed by it. This Friday, Dolby officially rolls out Atmos to 14 test theaters in conjunction with the theatrical release of Pixar’s ‘Brave’, which is the first full feature film to be mixed in the Atmos format. Want to experience this for yourself? If you live near one of these locations, you can.
The following theaters will be the first to receive the Atmos upgrade in time for the ‘Brave’ premiere:
- AMC BarryWoods 24 (Kansas City, MO)
- AMC Burbank 16 (Burbank, CA)
- AMC Century City 15 (Century City, CA)
- AMC Downtown Disney 24 (Lake Buena Vista, FL)
- AMC Garden State 16 (Paramus, NJ)
- AMC Van Ness 14 (San Francisco, CA)
- ArcLight Sherman Oaks (Sherman Oaks, CA)
- Brenden Theatres at the Palms (Las Vegas, NV)
- Century at Pacific Commons and XD (Fremont, CA)
- Cinemark West Plano and XD (West Plano, TX)
- SilverCity-Yonge Eglington Cinemas (Cineplex) (Toronto, ON)
- Cinetopia Vancouver Mall 23 (Vancouver, WA)
- El Capitan Theatre (Hollywood, CA)
- Kerasotes ShowPlace ICON at Roosevelt Collection (Chicago, IL)
Additionally, the world premiere of ‘Brave’ will take place at the recently-rechristened Dolby Theater (formerly the Kodak Theater) in Hollywood, which will incorporate both Dolby Atmos and Dolby 3D.
Sadly, none of the launch theaters are near me in the Boston area. If I wind up going to the Toronto Film Festival again in September, I might try to check out the Atmos theater there. Of course, ‘Brave’ will be long gone from theaters by that point. Hopefully, another Atmos movie will be available at that time.
For the locations of other theaters planned to upgrade to Atmos at later dates, check Dolby’s Atmos web page.
If any of our readers are fortunate enough to see ‘Brave’ at one of these launch locations, be sure to tell us your impressions.