Oh boy, is it a bad week to be me. Things that I love are leaving Netflix, and not much new is coming in return. A few of my go-to movies are off the stream, which is just plain upsetting.
Leaving the Stream
- ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ (12/1): Not the whole show is leaving, thankfully. But it looks like the entirety of the Volume 10 collection is, including ‘Swamp Diamonds‘, which is high on my list. I’m really hoping that these are exceptions and not part of a growing trend. No ‘MST3K’ on Netflix would make me very sad.
- ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’ (12/1): People like to criticize the BBC version of ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide‘ for being slow and dry. Well dammit, that’s how it’s supposed to be! As much as I love the newer version (and I do love it), the 1981 ‘Guide’ will always be what other versions have to live up to.
- ‘Orgazmo’ (12/1): Man, I wish I knew that this one was leaving earlier. I would have made a public call for people to watch it. ‘Orgazmo‘ is by the ‘South Park’ guys, and has all the in-your-face comedy and subtle brilliance you’d expect from the show – though honestly, I prefer ‘Orgazmo’ and ‘BASEketbal’ to the cartoon. ‘Orgazmo’ is damn funny, and is still one of the most-quoted movies in my circle of friends.
Entering the Stream
- ‘Elizabeth’: Okay, so there’s at least one awesome thing new on Netflix this week. ‘Elizabeth‘ is a crazy good movie that really earned the six Oscars it was nominated for and the one it won. It’s also not too bad when it comes to historical accuracy. Win/win.
- ‘Heathers’: I’ll admit that I haven’t seen this dark cult comedy in a long while – since the days when I’d come home from school and pop on Comedy Central for the rest of the day. Still, ‘Heathers‘ was great back in the day, taking shots at the kinds of cliques that I totally hated in high school. It’s cathartic.