Each new month brings a huge shift in Netflix content, and a new year means even bigger changes. This week, we get a look at everything that’s being taken away. Not until next week will we see the big list of what’s new. Fortunately, there are a few new additions that will make some folks very happy.
Leaving the Stream
- ‘Best in Show’ (1/1): I’m so in love with the improvisational comedies directed by Christopher Guest, and ‘Best in Show‘ is right at the top. It’s a movie that manages to make every actor look good, but ‘Best in Show’ will always stand out to me as the first movie where I realized the comedic genius of Fred Willard.
- ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ (1/1): I was going to write up a really snarky summary about how Jack Nicholson went downhill after this flick, but the real focus should be on just how crazy good this movie is. Milos Forman knocked it out of the park with ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest‘. It’s a truly iconic film.
- ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ (1/1): At the end of the month, I’ll be auditioning for a part in a local production of ‘Little Shop of Horrors‘. I planned to watch the movie a few times while preparing, but it looks like that won’t be an option. If you haven’t seen this movie, you really should. It’s a wonderfully campy tribute to bad sci-fi and trite love stories that still manages to make you really care about the characters.
Entering the Stream
- ‘True Grit’: As great as the Coen Brothers version of the movie was, there’s still space for the original ‘True Grit‘ too. If nothing else, a cast consisting of John Wayne, Glen Campbell, Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper is a blast to watch. It may seem a little off if you watched the new one first, but it’s well worth checking out.
- ‘Fawlty Towers’: After ‘Monty Python’, John Cleese went on to make a brilliant if less well-known show called ‘Fawlty Towers‘. If you want to give it a try without investing a huge amount of time, start with the sixth episode, entitled ‘The Germans’. The entire series is a showcase for Cleese, but that episode stands out above the rest.