Welcome back! Did you all have a good long weekend? While we’re back to work today, things are looking pretty slow in Blu-ray land.
Here’s the list of what’s being released today:
- ‘13 Assassins‘ (Magnolia)
- ‘Arakawa Under the Bridge: Complete Premium Edition‘ (NIS America)
- ‘Be Cool‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘Beyond the Darkness‘ (Shriek Show)
- ‘Crack in the World‘ (Olive Films)
- ‘The Cutting Edge‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘Damage‘ (20th Century Fox)
- ‘Das Boot: The Director’s Cut‘ (Sony)
- ‘Don’t Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood‘ (Echo Bridge)
- ‘A Fish Called Wanda‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘Florida’s State Parks‘ (Topics)
- ‘From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman’s Daughter‘ (Echo Bridge)
- ‘Gettysburg / Gods and Generals: Limited Collector’s Edition‘ (Warner Brothers – July 4th)
- ‘Grand Canyon Serenade‘ (Topics)
- ‘A Guy Thing‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘Hannie Caulder‘ (Olive Films)
- ‘Hellraiser: Hellworld‘ (Echo Bridge)
- ‘Hobo with a Shotgun‘ (Magnolia)
- ‘I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell‘ (20th Century Fox)
- ‘It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘K-On! Vol. 2‘ (Bandai)
- ‘Katanagatari: Volume 1 – Premium Edition‘ (NIS America)
- ‘Legally Blonde‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘Master Harold … and the Boys‘ (Image)
- ‘Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Wakening Of The Trailblazer‘ (Bandai – July 6th)
- ‘Of Gods and Men‘ (Sony)
- ‘Overboard‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘Throw Momma from the Train‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘Wedding Daze‘ (MGM/UA)
- ‘When Harry Met Sally‘ (MGM/UA)
As you can see, there’s not a whole lot going on today. The most interesting day-and-date title would be ‘13 Assassins‘, a samurai action flick from crazily prolific Japanese cult director Takashi Miike (‘Audition‘, ‘Sukiyaki Western Django‘). Aaron raved about it in his review (linked above), and it sounds like a lot of fun.
In other exploitation news, we also get ‘Hobo with a Shotgun‘, starring Rutger Hauer as a… well, as a hobo with a shotgun. Do you need more of a plot than that? This film was originally spawned from a fake movie trailer contest. You can find the original trailer (sans Rutger Hauer) on the ‘Grindhouse‘ Blu-ray. Apparently, someone thought it was funny enough to make a whole feature out of it.
The best catalog title of the week is Wolfgang Petersen’s terrific WWII submarine thriller ‘Das Boot‘, which was originally scheduled for release a few weeks ago but got pushed back to today. The Blu-ray contains both the 1981 theatrical cut (145 minutes) and the 1997 Director’s Cut (210 minutes). Unfortunately, it does not include the 293-minute TV miniseries version, which is currently only available on DVD, but it’s a great movie in any of its forms.
Catalog releases are otherwise dominated by ’80s comedies such as ‘A Fish Called Wanda‘, ‘Overboard‘, ‘Throw Momma from the Train‘ and ‘When Harry Met Sally‘. I love all of these movies, but I’ve also seen them each so many times that I don’t know that I need to rebuy them. I’ll probably break down if I find them cheap enough, though.
We can also jump back a couple of decades to the 1963 all-star madcap caper ‘It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World‘. “X” marks the spot, baby.
That’s about all I see of interest. Does anything catch your fancy?