The end of the month always means a big shakeup at Netflix, and this one’s no different. We’re losing the Bond movies, a few Kubrick flicks and even a Muppet movie. (Though ‘Muppets from Space’ isn’t really a huge loss.) We’re getting a few good things in return, fortunately, including a Norwegian film that I’ve been looking forward to for a long time.
Leaving the Stream
- ‘Full Metal Jacket’ (10/1): Seven six two millimeter, ‘Full Metal Jacket‘. Oh man this is a great flick. My love for it started when I was younger and couldn’t get enough of the drill sergeant. It then evolved as I aged and learned to appreciate the whole thing. If you somehow haven’t seen this movie, you’ve got a few days to get on it. Oh, and ‘Firefly’ fans can get themselves an Adam Baldwin fix. (Read Blu-ray review.)
- ‘The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking’ (10/1): I watched this movie a few months ago for a post-breakup day full of wine and kids’ movies. (My friends are the best.) ‘Pippi Longstocking‘ really takes me back. It’s so full of campy fun and wonderful songs that you just can’t stay sad while watching it. Watch it with your kids, or with your friends if you’re not the type to be too embarrassed enjoying a quality children’s flick.
- ‘Repo! The Genetic Opera’ (10/1): Yeah, I still haven’t watched it. I have friends that speak highly of ‘Repo‘, but none that I typically accept movie or musical advice from. Still, I’ve heard some of the tracks and they seem pretty slick – kind of a goth/industrial feel, which I can totally get behind. If you’re looking for something different, this is it. (Read Blu-ray review.)
Entering the Stream
- ‘Trollhunter’: Aw hell yeah! When you first watch the trailer, you may get a ‘Cloverfield’ vibe, but there seems to be a lot more to this movie than just a simple monster attack. ‘Trollhunter‘ looks absolutely cool. This is on my watch list for next weekend.
- ‘Mythbusters Season 7’: There’s something that’s just so beautiful about ‘Mythbusters‘. It’s a show that takes a scientific approach to problems, encourages skepticism and preaches critical thinking. And even with all this really brainy content, it’s a show that everyone can enjoy. There are explosions things smashing and even a pretty redhead!
- ‘The Cleveland Show’: I feel like Seth McFarlane’s ‘Family Guy’ spinoff doesn’t get enough love. Or at least it didn’t in the first season. As much as I enjoy the style that ‘Family Guy’ is known for, it’s nice to have a show with a nice consistent story and characters that are good for more than one quick joke. Give it a try if you haven’t.
After three sexy years, this is the month we kicked Netflix streaming to the curb.
They’ve lost too much, and gained too little.
Au revoir, mes amis.
Caught Trollhunter in the theatre… twas very cool. Psyched it’s streaming! I’ll have to catch it again!
I may give The Cleaveland Show another chance. I have seen two episodes in the first season that I was not impressed with, but the show seems to still be running, so maybe it got better.
I am not sure, though, how long I will keep Netflix. I just got PlayOn working, so I can watch Amazon Prime on my PS3 now, and next week, Dish Network launches their Blockbuster thingy. I already have Dish and Blockbuster’s disc thingy, so for an extra buck a month, I get streaming and an additional 20 channels, and I still get to exchange discs in the store and can get game rentals? Yeah, I am expecting that I will only have Netflix myself for a few more weeks.
Caleb F. Powell
IDK when it happened, but Psych season 5 is also on netflix! 😀