“I’d like to see posts about movies/shows coming to the stream,” wrote a commenter named DP (short for DDP?) last week. Well hell, that’s a fine idea. I’ve gone ahead and changed things up a bit. I’ll still be highlighting movies that are leaving the stream, but also ones that are just beginning to stream on Netflix. So without further ado…
Leaving the Stream
- The Sixth Sense (2/11): Bruce Willis plays a child psychologist treating a patient who believes he is capable of seeing and communicating with the dead. ‘The Sixth Sense‘ was nominated for six Oscars and even got a nod for Best Picture. You may already know it but there’s a big twist at the end. Spoiler Alert: M. Night Shyamalan never makes a movie this good again. (Read Blu-ray review.)
- Dune (2/11): You only have a few days left in which to let the spice flow. Also, fear is apparently the mind killer. I’ll admit to only watching half of ‘Dune,’ but I dug the bit I did see. Josh has blogged about the movie more than a few times, though so I thought it was well worth mentioning. It also has Sting in it, so that’s something. (Read Blu-ray review.)
- The Importance of Being Earnest (2/15): Ernest P. Worrell is back in Jim Varney’s most hilarious adventure yet. What? Oh, so it turns out ‘The Importance of Being Earnest‘ is based on an Oscar Wilde play and stars Rupert Everett and Colin Firth. It’s fairly well regarded and almost certainly worth a watch. KnowwhatImean, Vern?
Entering the Stream
- The Thing (2/11): John Carpenter’s remake of the 1950s cult classic has replaced the original in the hearts and minds of movie fans. ‘The Thing‘ is classic that Peter M. Bracke describes as “one of the most purely visceral and downright disgusting mainstream horror movies ever made” in his Blu-ray review. It’s coming to Netflix streaming this week, which is great. It also features people in even colder weather than the rest of us, which is better.
- Jason X (2/11): There isn’t too much coming to the stream this week (next week is looking a lot better), but I wanted to highlight one of the most awful and hilarious horror movies of the last decade. ‘Jason X‘ isn’t just dumb – ‘Jason X’ is one of the single dumbest horror flicks I’ve seen, and I’m a guy who seeks out bad movies. It’s about Jason, and he’s in space, and he’s killing people. It doesn’t make sense, but it doesn’t have to. This is a great one to watch and make fun of with a few friends.