This week, Netflix streaming loses one indisputable classic and a few guilty pleasures.
Broadcast News (11/21)
James L. Brooks shows his stuff with this one. ‘Broadcast News’ stars William Hurt, Holly Hunter and Albert Brooks, among others. It’s an exploration of relationships, the work-addict, and the news business all at once. It’s also on its way off of Netflix, so get it while you can. Oh, if you didn’t guess, this one’s the classic.
I can’t help it, I love ‘Jumanji‘. It’s cheesy and dumb, and it came out right when the world was starting to get sick of Robin Williams in kids’ movies, but I don’t care. If ‘Jumanji’ is anything, it’s fun and a little whimsical, and that’s enough for me.
If you saw ‘FarCry‘ and hated it, then you watched it wrong. Here’s how to do it right:
- Get a group of 3-5 friends together, one of which must be a loudmouth smartass to get the ball rolling.
- Supply said guests with their favorite alcoholic beverages or caffeinated drinks. Not too much, though. This isn’t a kegger.
- Prepare the Netflix stream and pause before the movie starts. Explain to your guests that this isn’t so much a movie night as a test of endurance.
- Read aloud, dramatically, from some of the more clever reviews that scathed the film.
- Finally, read the description of the movie from the box, count down from three, and begin watching.
- If you failed to enjoy the movie, find new friends then repeat from Step 1.