Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 at 02:45 PM PST by Steven Cohen
The new drive includes Ultra HD Blu-ray capabilities.
Pioneer has detailed its latest BD/DVD/CD writer. The upcoming BDR-211UBK will include Ultra HD Blu-ray playback support through bundled CyberLink PowerDVD 14 software.
The internal PC drive offers reading and writing capabilities for a variety of BD (SL 25GB/DL 50GB) and BDXL (BD-R XL: TL 100GB/ QL 128GB, BD-RE XL: TL 100GB) discs, with up to 16x maximum BD-R writing speed (BD-R: SL 25GB). In addition, the device comes bundled with several programs, including CyberLink PowerDVD 14 software. With PowerDVD 14 and the required PC specs, the BDR-211UBK is capable of Ultra HD Blu-ray disc playback. Additional requirements for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback through a PC include: an Intel 7th Generation Core i5/i7 processor (selected models: KabyLake-S & KabyLake-H), Intel HD Graphics 630 chipsets, minimum of 6GB memory, Windows 10, and an HDR, HDCP 2.2, and HDMI2.0a compatible motherboard and display.
Here's a full rundown of key specs per the press release:
- Ultra HD Blu-ray playback: the BDR-211UBK supports Ultra HD Blu-ray playback using the bundled CyberLink software. Ultra HD Blu-ray includes content up to 4K resolution (3840 pixels horizontal×2160pixels vertical) and a wider range of colors compared to full HD.
- Faster burning: Up to 16x² maximum write speed on BD-R single-layer discs, 14x on BD-R DL discs and 8x on BD-R triple-layer discs.
Compatible with Windows® 10 – The BDR-211UBK and bundled software are compatible with the latest Windows® OS, Windows 10.
- Region Code Change: BDR-211UBK has DVD regional playback control. It allows users to set the region of the drive up to five times.
- Store more data: Support for BDXL media, which stores up to 156% more data than 50GB Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc™, including 100GB Triple Layer (TL)3 and 128GB Quadruple Layer (QL)3 discs.
- QuickPlay: BD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs are ready quickly after insertion.
- PowerRead: Through its PowerRead feature, the BDR-211UBK provides smoother movie playback when a disc is marked with fingerprints or has minor surface scratches. When the drive is not able to read through these obstructed areas of a disc, it will quickly move forward to the next available data point, resulting in smoother Blu-ray and DVD movie playback.4
- Auto Quiet Mode: The drive monitors how it is being used and will adjust its disc rotation speed automatically, using quieter mode (slower speed) when watching Blu-ray and DVD titles or listening to conventional audio CDs.
- PureRead3: Clicking or popping sounds that might normally occur due to minor scratches and fingerprints on CDs can be prevented on some discs with the drive’s PureRead3 technology, which allows the drive to adjust its optical playback settings dynamically through the use of a unique algorithm.5
- Peak power Reducer: This power saving mode enables the drive to suppress power consumption at peak operation. It keeps stable operation in case of a drop in power supply.
The Pioneer BDR-211UBK will be available later this month for a suggested retail price of $130.
See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.
The latest news on all things 4K Ultra HD, blu-ray and Gear.