Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 01:15 PM PDT by Tom Landy
Frank Miller's iconic comic book story gets animated in Warner's next direct-to-video movie coming to Blu-ray in October!
In an early announcement to retailers, Warner Brothers is preparing 'Batman: Year One' for Blu-ray on October 18.
'Batman: Year One' is based on the landmark 1987 DC Comics titles from 12-time Eisner Award winner Frank Miller and illustrator David Mazzucchelli. The film depicts young Bruce Wayne's return to Gotham City in his first attempts to fight injustice as a costumed vigilante. The playboy billionaire chooses the guise of a giant bat to combat crime, creates an early bond with a young Lieutenant James Gordon (who is already battling corruption from inside the police department), inadvertently plays a role in the birth of Catwoman, and helps to bring down a crooked political system that infests Gotham.
Emmy Award winner Bryan Cranston ('Breaking Bad') voices the young Jim Gordon and Ben McKenzie ('Southland,' 'The O.C.') makes his animated voiceover debut as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Fanboy favorites Eliza Dushku ('Dollhouse, 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer') and Katee Sackhoff ('Battlestar Galactica') fill the roles of Selina Kyle/Catwoman and Detective Sarah Essen, respectively. Alex Rocco ('The Godfather') is the voice of crime lord Carmine Falcone.
"'Batman: Year One' offers fans and newcomers alike an animated perspective on one of the true benchmark works in Batman comics history," said Hersin Magante, Warner Home Video Marketing Manager, Family & Animation. "Bruce W. Timm and the Warner Bros. Animation team have gone to great lengths to realize Frank Miller's ground-breaking, influential vision. 'Batman: Year One' stands tall as the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie."
Specs have yet to be finalized, but the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo pack will feature a number of supplements including:
• Sneak Peek at Justice League: Doom, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
• DC Showcase Animated Original Short - "Catwoman": This all-new entry to the growing canon of DC Universe animated shorts features the first first solo tale centered around Catwoman. The felonious feline's adventure takes her through the seedy streets of Gotham City. Catwoman is voiced by Eliza Dushku (Dollhouse, Tru Calling).
• Featurette - "Heart of Vengeance: Returning Batman to His Roots": "The Dark Knight Returns" provided the denouement of Batman's life. Frank Miller's next seminal work would provide his near-mythic origin in Batman: Year One. This documentary uncovers the contemporary genius of Miller and the audience that was poised to appreciate the depths of his work.
• Featurette - "Conversations with DC Comics": The Batman creative team at DC Entertainment discusses the personal influence of Batman: Year One on their careers. Batman producer Michael E. Uslan leads the chat amongst well-known writers, editors and artists of the Batman lore, focusing their dialogue on the darker, realistic interpretation of Batman's origins by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli.
• Audio Commentary with Alan Burnett, Sam Liu, Mike Carlin and Andrea Romano
• "Batman: Year One, Chapter 1" Digital Comic Book
• Two bonus episodes from Batman: The Animated Series, handpicked by Bruce W. Timm
Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $24.98.
You can find the latest specs for 'Batman: Year One' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it is indexed under October 18.
See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.
The latest news on all things 4K Ultra HD, blu-ray and Gear.