|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
HD DVD Backer Weinstein Goes MIA; Speculation Mounts
Tags: Weinstein Co. (all tags)
With no releases or announcements from the Weinstein Company in over four months, speculation is mounting that there are changes afoot for the HD DVD exclusive distributor.
Although the well-regarded indie had been among the HD DVD camp's most high-profile exclusive studio partners, releasing nearly a dozen titles over the first six months of this year (including 'Clerks II,' 'Lucky Number Slevin' and 'Scary Movie 4'), the studio has been uncharacteristically quiet in recent months.
Could the studio be re-evaluating its HD DVD exclusivity stance? That's the current speculation among industry insiders and fans alike.
We recently brought the question to the studio itself, asking a Weinstein spokesperson to comment on the ongoing rumors, but his response seems likely to only add fuel to fire. "We aren’t commenting on our High-Def plans at this time" was the only word back from the studio.
So what's cooking? Darned if we know, but with such highly anticipated next-gen titles as 'Grindhouse' and '1408' waiting in the wings, here's hoping the studio will break its silence sometime soon.
- Related links:
- Where's Weinstein? [High-Def Digest Forums]
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- Clerks II (HD DVD)
- Lucky Number Slevin (HD DVD)
- Scary Movie 4 (HD DVD)
- Harsh Times (HD DVD)
- Black Christmas (2006) (HD DVD)
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- HDD Deal of the Week: 'Gettysburg / Gods and Generals: Limited Collector's Edition' Blu-ray $33.99 at Amazon
- "Mastered in 4K" and the Road to Ultra HD
- Weekend Roundtable: Into Darkness
- 'The Borgias: The Complete Third Season' Blu-ray Dated and Detailed
- Reminder: 'Texas Chainsaw 3D' Contest Ends Today
- More High-Def Disc News...