|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Triluminos LED Backlighting Comes Back to Sony TVs
At least, you'll find it in Sony's upcoming 4K set.
A lot happens at CES and sometimes things slip right by us. In this case, it's the return of Sony's Triluminos LED backlighting technology, which used colored LEDs instead of white to provide light to your screen. The end result was a richer picture, but the tech was cost prohibitive.
Triluminos is back in Sony's new UHDTV sets thanks to QD Vision's quantum dot technology – something we heard a lot about over the last year but that has never really been applied until now. Using quantum dots and blue LEDs, Sony is able to produce colors across the spectrum and give you a more accurate and overall nicer picture.
Unfortunately, this is only coming to 4K sets for now, but we're hoping it will trickle down in time. Sony also points out that it offers Blu-ray players made to play nice with Triluminos color, so you may want to pick one of those up to go along with your UHDTV.
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- 'Lee Daniels' The Butler' Blu-ray Announced
- 'The Best of Bogart Collection' Dated for Blu-ray
- LG Implementing AllJoyn Technology in Smart TVs
- PSA: Xbox One In Stock at Amazon
- Report: 'Gran Turismo 6' Offers Loads of Microtransactions Alongside Conventional Player Progression
- More High-Def Disc News...