|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Starz Play Leaves Netflix this Week
Tags: Netflix, Starz, Industry Trends (all tags)
That means the loss of 'Toy Story 3' or 'Spartacus' among others.
Three years ago, Netflix signed a deal with Starz that brought a very strong selection of movies to the streaming service. Many of the newer movies that make their way to Netflix are from Starz, as are a few very highly rated titles. At the end of this month, that's all going away.
Losing Starz Play means that Netflix is losing titles like 'Tron: Legacy,' 'Toy Story 3,' 'Jesus Christ Superstar' and 'Young Frankenstein.' Popular modern films and classics alike are soon to be off of the stream.
Netflix is still in a pretty strong position and certainly hopes that upcoming original programming, like the return of 'Arrested Development,' will help them to keep and add subscribers. Also new for Netflix is a deal with the Weinstein company that gives them exclusive rights to foreign films, specialty film and documentaries as well as the Oscar winning title 'The Artist.'
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- Weekend Roundtable: One Sequel Too Many
- 'Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season' Blu-ray Date and Pre-Orders Live
- 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' and 'Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'Blood and Sand' Blu-ray Announced
- Theatrical Review: 'Fast & Furious 6'
- More High-Def Disc News...