|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Paramount Cancels Majority of HD DVD Slate (UPDATED)
Tags: Industry Trends, Paramount, DreamWorks (all tags)
UPDATE: (2/28/08, 9:45pm ET) We've just received word from Paramount that DreamWorks Animation will follow its studio parent and end HD DVD support. DreamWorks Animation's sole remaining HD DVD release, 'Bee Movie' (originally scheduled for March 11) has been cancelled. We've updated our database accordingly.
Although the studio has yet to issue a formal statement, when asked to confirm retail reports that it had canceled the majority of its upcoming HD DVD slate, a Paramount rep told us that following the next week's HD DVD releases of 'Into the Wild' and 'Things We Lost in the Fire,' the studio will no longer issue any further titles on the format.
According to a just-published article in The Hollywood Reporter, the studio is expected to release its first new Blu-ray titles this summer.
Paramount (and its subsidiary DreamWorks) had nearly a half-dozen HD DVD titles scheduled for release through early Spring. Here is a complete list of the studio's previously-announced titles that have now been cancelled:
March 25: 'The Jack Ryan Collection,' 'The Kite Runner'
April 1: 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'
April 15: 'There Will Be Blood '
Needless to say, we'll keep you posted on further details of Paramount/DreamWorks transition to Blu-ray as they're announced.
- Related links:
- Paramount stops HD DVD production [Hollywood Reporter]
- Paramount Done with HD DVD Next Week [Vieo Business]
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- Into the Wild (HD DVD)
- Things We Lost in the Fire (HD DVD)
- Bee Movie (Blu-ray)
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- Paramount Goes Blu (Feb 21, 2008)
- DreamWorks Animation: Still HD DVD Exclusive (For Now) (Feb 27, 2008)
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines: