|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Are Circuit City Stores Coming Back?
Tags: Circuit City, High-Def Retailing (all tags)
After experiencing great sales numbers online, Systemax is considering brick-and-mortar locations for Circuit City stores.
You remember Circuit City. Their stores were once close competitors to Best Buy, but they took a slow spiral down to liquidation in 2008/2009. It seems like forever ago that there was a mainstream competitor to the blue giant, aside from online retail locations of course.
And it’s online retail that may be bringing Circuit City back. The current owner of the company, Systemax, is strongly considering the relaunch of traditional brick-and-mortar Circuit City stores.
Systemax may not be a familiar name, but the brands sure are. They own Tiger Direct, and they’re the company who brought CompUSA back from the brink of non-existence. Their stores aren’t quite as widespread as they once were of course, but there still are 34 CompUSA locations across the country.
As chief executive Richard Leeds puts it, “We have a tremendous amount of excitement around our company now because of these acquisitions.” He says that the purchase of the two companies was the deal of a century. “Recession hurts, but it also creates opportunities that would not have existed otherwise.”
Source: Chicago Breaking Business
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- 'The Shadow: Collector's Edition' Blu-ray Announced
- NimbleTV Brings Streaming Cable to New York City Customers
- 'Baggage Claim' Dated and Detailed for Blu-ray
- AllSeen Alliance Forms to Advance Seamless Device Sharing and Integration
- 'I'm in Love with a Church Girl' Blu-ray Features Detailed
- More High-Def Disc News...