Posted Thu Jan 5, 2006 at 07:59 AM PST by
Blu-Ray may have fired the first salvo in the high-def format war at yesterday's CES 2006, but the HD-DVD camp is not backing down from the fight. Universal, Warner, New Line and HBO unveiled their initial HD-DVD offerings today, which appeared to trump Blu-Ray in terms of diversity, day-and-date with DVD support and speed to market, with the first titles expected by mid-March.Continue Reading
While all of the studios supporting either high-def DVD format unveiled about 10 to 20 titles apiece, initial impressions give HD-DVD the edge. The obvious catalog action blockbusters like 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'Matrix' trilogies are there, but so is comedic fare like 'The 40-Year-Old Virgin.' Combine that with strong same-day-as-DVD titles as 'Superman Reborn' and 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,' and it makes for a strong opening blitzkrieg. Having HBO under the Warner umbrella also means TV DVD will be better represented than it has been with Blu-Ray, with HBO pledging such top shows as 'The Sopranos' and 'Deadwood' by year end.
HD-DVD's showing was also boosted by the first genuine surprise of CES 2006: the newly-formed Weinstein Co. announced exclusive HD-DVD support. With an upcoming lineup of titles including 'The Matador,' 'Scary Movie 4,' 'Young Hannibal,' 'The Passion of the Clerks,' that's nothing to scoff at.
However, Blu-Ray has a counterpunch of its own still left for CES 2006. Disney will unveil their exclusive plans for the Sony-backed format with a gala event tonight, which could tip the scales back in the Blu-Ray's favor.
LATEST NEWS BLU-RAY
- 'Better Call Saul: Season Three' Announced for Blu-ray
- 'Luke Cage: The Complete First Season' Headed for Blu-ray
- Coming Soon to Blu-ray: 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer,' 'The Deuce,' and More
- Coming Soon to Blu-ray: 'Better Call Saul,' 'Mark Felt,' and More
- 'The Simpsons' Return to DVD with Season 18 but Blu-ray Releases No Longer Planned
- Coming Soon to Blu-ray: Best Buy SteelBooks, 'Marshall,' 'Goodbye Christopher Robin,' and More
- Have You Ever Wanted to Ask Jim Jarmusch About His Films?
- 'Brawl in Cell Block 99' Sentenced to Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray
- Marvel Debuts Trailer for 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Coming Soon to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray: 'Cloverfield,' 'Mayhem,' and More
- Cyber Monday Deals: Buy Two Select 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays for $30 at Best Buy
- 'Justice League' Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Pre-Orders Live
- First Look: the Christopher Nolan Collection in 4K
- 'The Mountain Between Us' Headed for Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray
- 'Batman: Gotham By Gaslight' Announced for Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray
- 'Dark Knight Trilogy' & 'Christopher Nolan Collection' Detailed for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray
- 'It (2017)' Announced for Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray
- Want to see The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on 4K Blu-ray? Vote now!
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Premieres in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos
- This Week in Gear: New Philips Roku TVs, Amazon Expands Alexa Control for Fire TV, and More
- Coming Soon to Streaming: 'Stranger Things,' 'Jack Ryan,' 'The Grand Tour,' and More
- Klipsch Launches RF-7 III & RC-64 III Speakers
- Google Is Removing YouTube from Amazon Devices
- Chrome Set to Add HDR Video Playback Support for Android Platform
- Cineworld Group Acquires Regal Entertainment Group in $3.6 Billion Deal
- Klipsch Details Reference Premiere Designer On-Wall Speakers
- Apple TV Adds Amazon Prime Video Support
THE BONUS VIEW
- 2018 Golden Globe Nominations
- ‘The Walking Dead’ 8.08 Recap: “You Ever Shut the Hell Up?”
- ‘Happy!’ Pilot Recap: “My Imagination Is Very Limited”
- Weekend Box Office: Don’t Get Me Started
- Blu-ray Highlights: Week of December 10th, 2017 – Circle of Confusion
- Weekend Roundtable: Cult Movies That Actually Suck
- ‘Faces Places’ Review: Fantastically French
- Weekend Movies: False Start
- ‘Wonder Wheel’ Review: Art Inseparable from the Artist