Sony XBR-65A9F OLED Wins 2018 Value Electronics TV Shootout
Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 at 05:30 PM PDT by Steven Cohen
A new "King of TV" has been named!
Value Electronics has crowned its latest TV Shootout winner. The event was held earlier today and featured a head-to-head competition between some of the industry's top 4K Ultra HD displays. And now that the dust has settled, an overall winner has been named: the Sony XBR-65A9F OLED.
I was honored to be on hand at the Shootout to represent High-Def Digest as one of the event's nine expert judges. I'll have a more detailed write-up on the contest with a breakdown of the different tests used and my own scores for each TV soon, but until then, here's a quick rundown of the winners in each category based on all the judges' scores:
Here's a full list of the competitors featured in the Shootout:
And here's a detailed rundown of the testing methodology used:
- The number one most-used professional calibration software, SpectraCal’s CalMAN®, and calibration hardware, procedures and workflow will be used.
- Konica/Minolta’s professional CS2000A spectroradiometer, Klein 10A meters and the new Konica/Minolta CA-410 color analyzer will all be used in the calibration process. The Klein 10A meters will be profiled using the CS2000A spectroradiometer for each TV.
- SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision patterns will be generated and fed from Murideo’s SIX-G 4K Pattern Generator and a preview selection from Stacey Spears upcoming HDR test disc.
- All of the cables and interconnects are Metra Home Theater Group Ethereal brand Velox True 24 Gbps passive cables with their Gigabit Accelerator the HDM-GA1.
- All of the TVs will be visually matched to the white point of Sony’s BMV-X300 professional color grading monitor. Sony’s BMV-X300 reference monitor will also be used as the reference for all TVs to be judged against.
- Well respected top professional calibrators will be tuning each TV to its best possible FHD/SDR and UHD/HDR performance. The calibrators are David Abrams, DeWayne Davis, and John Reformato, supervised by Tyler Pruitt.
- All tested panels will be concurrently fed through AVPro’s Edge for 18G Uncompressed professional HDMI distribution matrix switch from four Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray players, 1080 FHD/SDR for Cable/DIRECTV, 4K streaming, SDR and HDR test patterns.
- The televisions featured this year are the flagship 4K Ultra HD LCD/LEDs and OLEDs from the premium TV manufacturers.
- Video experts will then guide the attendees through the evaluation process and the panel of experts and all attendees will vote on each picture quality attribute.
- Attendees will be led through the different attributes of picture quality and will evaluate and judge the newest TVs from the leading consumer electronics manufacturers that are competing to be the" King of TV."
Make sure to check back with High-Def Digest for a detailed breakdown of the 2018 Value Electronics TV Shootout soon!
Source: Value Electronics
See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.