The writer/director of The Last Jedi is returning to a galaxy far, far away.
Disney and Lucasfilm have announced plans to create a new Star Wars trilogy with filmmaker Rian Johnson. Johnson previously directed The Last Jedi which is set to hit theaters on December 15.
"We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "He's a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy."
Though full details on the new trilogy have not been announced yet, the films will tell a story separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, allowing Johnson to spotlight new characters and locations not yet seen in the Star Wars franchise. Johnson is currently set to write and direct the first installment, and Ram Bergman is attached to produce.
Meanwhile, Johnson's upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi will pick up where Star Wars: The Force Awakens left off, following Rey (Daisy Ridley) as she continues her epic journey with Finn (John Boyega), Poe (Oscar Isaac) and Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) in the next chapter of the original saga. Check out the official trailer below!
"We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi," Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. "Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can't wait to continue with this new series of films."
Release dates for the new films have not been revealed at this time.