Disney Home Entertainment threw a lavish bash in Los Angeles Monday night to preview next week's Blu-ray debut of the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films, as well as announce a next-gen release of 'Chronicles of Narnia.'
Held at the Highlands nightclub in Hollywood, California, Disney hosted the studio's first-ever Blu-ray premiere event to celebrate the 'Pirates' duo and preview some of its next-gen-exclusive bonus features.
Along with the expected pirate-themed decor and costumed Jack Sparrow look-a-likes, the studio showed off the "Scoundrels at Sea" interactive video commentary on 'Curse of the Black Pearl,' as well as the BD-Java-based 'Liar's Dice' game exclusive to 'Dead Man's Chest.' (UPDATE: One of our readers, Scott, wrote in to point out that Disney has also posted a video of the game to their Blu-ray promo site). Despite recent rumors to the contrary, both 'Pirates' titles are due for release (as originally announced) on May 22.
The studio also took the occasion to further outline its upcoming Blu-ray strategy, revealing the following tidbits:
- Disney's next major catalog release on Blu-ray will be the blockbuster 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe.' No street date has yet been set, but a late summer/early fall release is being targeted.
- Due to an extensive level of involvement by Pixar, the originally announced June 5 release of 'Cars' has been pushed back (as first reported earlier this month); current plans are a hoped-for arrival date of September 2007.
- Citing a need for greater mainstream hardware penetration, Disney will not be dipping into its vault of classic animated titles on Blu-ray in 2007. However, news is "forthcoming" on the studio's long-range animation on Blu-ray plans.
- The studio renewed its support for the Blu-ray format's BD-Java and BD-Live capabilities, as soon as technology matures. The as-yet-unnamed titles are set to be announced in the future on an ongoing basis.
We'll certainly keep you posted on all future Disney announcements and Blu-ray developments. So watch this space!
In light of Disney's public announcements, we've added 'The Chronicles of Narnia' to the "Release Dates Pending" section of our Blu-ray Release Schedule.
We've also set up a dedicated thread in our forums area for discussion of the upcoming Blu-ray release of 'Chronicles of Narnia.'
And look for our full reviews of both 'Curse of the Black Pearl' and 'Dead Man's Chest' later this week. Stay tuned!
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Blu-ray)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Blu-ray)