Posted Wed May 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM PDT by Tom Landy
Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, and Sneezy strike the mother-lode this October.
Walt Disney is launching an all-new product line -- Disney's Diamond Collection -- beginning with the one that started it all: 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' hitting Blu-ray on October 6, 2009.
The new Diamond Collection will offer "the ultimate viewing experience," including unparalleled features, exclusive high definition content, updatable experiences, superior picture and sound, and much more.
'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' includes a spectacular newly restored picture, 7.1 Digital Theater System Hi-def Surround Sound, "Disney Smart Navigation" technology bringing Disney characters to life like never before, "Disney Family Play" interactive experience with a variety of games, activities, and customizable features.
According to the Press Release, Exclusive Diamond Collection features include:
• Hyperion Studios – Audiences are digitally transported to 1937 to discover first-hand the Hyperion Studios, the original studio Walt Disney himself built and where Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was conceived and developed. Viewers will virtually walk the halls of this historic landmark experiencing life at Hyperion Studios back in the 1930’s. This amazing “Backstage Disney” feature contains newly dimensionalized archival photos, animator recordings, archival transcripts and rare footage of Walt himself revealing how Disney’s gifted filmmakers crafted the very first animated feature.
• Magic Mirror – Using the latest in Blu-ray technology, the iconic Magic Mirror guides the audience through the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Diamond Edition features with ease serving as the “host” for an incredibly immersive experience. The Mirror will recognize viewing patterns, knows where the audience has left off and will even suggest where to navigate next. This marks the first use of artificial intelligence in a Disney Blu-ray release and provides viewers the control to personally create a customized Snow White experience.
• DisneyView – Disney’s pioneering animated feature is brought to the modern era of widescreen high definition viewing by allowing the user to expand their viewing experience beyond the original aspect ratio of the film. Utilizing Disney Blu-ray™ technology, acclaimed Disney artist Toby Bluth was able to ‘draw’ beyond the borders of classic full frame cinema and fill the otherwise dark edges of the screen with beautiful custom imagery, giving audiences a new view of their animated classic favorite.
• About Toby Bluth – Disney artist Toby Bluth tells how the movie inspired him to create the superb DisneyView art.
• Mirror, Mirror On The Wall – Through BD-Live, this mirror can find the secret princess inside each viewer with a series of questions, then create for them a personal message from their favorite princess who will call them on the telephone.
• What Do You See? – To win this exciting interactive game, players must untangle scrambled images.
• Jewel Jumble – Players put jewels from the Dwarfs’ mine in the proper order to win this game.
• Scene Stealer – Allows viewers to upload a personal photo and experience life as one of the Seven Dwarfs—on-screen in the actual film.
It's also worth noting that although the standard-definition release of 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' will hit stores seven weeks after the Blu-ray on November 24, the Blu-ray edition will include a standard-definition copy of the film making it an ideal purchase to plan ahead for the future.
Suggested list price for the Blu-ray has been set at $39.99.
As previously mentioned the Blu-ray will be available in multiple versions and gift sets of varying prices.
You can find the latest specs for 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under October 6.
The latest news on all things 4K Ultra HD, blu-ray and Gear.