This is not a bad week for Netflix. There’s plenty to love that’s new to Instant Watch. While there are also plenty of flicks heading off, most of those are either things that I’ve never heard of or movies that are just plain bad.
Leaving the Stream
- ‘Stella: Live in Boston’ (9/15): If you’ve never seen ‘Stella‘, then you’ve been missing out. Well, that’s assuming that you’re a fan of witty comedy that’s partially planned and partially improvised. Michael Showalter, David Wain and Michael Ian Black are hilarious, especially in the live environment.
- ‘Supercop’ (9/18): Back before he starred in crappy movies like ‘Rush Hour 3’ or ‘The Spy Next Door’, Jackie Chan was actually quite a badass. ‘Supercop‘ is Jackie Chan right at his peak, and the stunt work shows it. While the Netflix streaming copy of ‘Supercop’ is dubbed, the voices of Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh are provided by Chan and Yeoh themselves, so it’s not horribly offensive.
Entering the Stream
- ‘Breaking Bad’: I saw the first season of ‘Breaking Bad‘ and was blown away. The show is just plain solid, and Bryan Cranston shows that he’s got what it takes to carry a series. After the first season, I just kind of fell off. (There’s a lot of TV out there to watch.) Luckily, I can catch up on Netflix. So can you, of course.
- ‘Comic Book: The Movie’: This is one of those movies that you’re probably not going to go searching for, but if you stumble upon it and you’re the right kind of person, you’ll fall in love. ‘Comic Book: The Movie‘ is a mockumentary that stars voice actors almost exclusively, which is incredibly cool. If you watch it on Netflix and you dig it, pick up the DVD for the hilarious commentary and Comic-Con panel.
- ‘The Street Fighter’: I loves me some Sonny Chiba, and a lot of that love comes from his role in ‘The Street Fighter‘. Reviews on Netflix say this version is a less than satisfactory transfer, but I’m pretty sure I first saw the movie on VHS. C’mon, it’s a martial arts movie from the mid ’70s. This isn’t about video quality; this is about ass kicking.