Posted Tue Apr 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM PDT by
Citing higher retail and wholesale prices, Netflix plans to implement a "modest monthly premium" for access to Blu-ray titles some time this year.Continue Reading
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 09:30 AM PST by
Online rentailer Netflix has announced it will drop support of the HD DVD format, and will exclusively stock Blu-ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM PDT by
A new report indicates that although only a tiny percentage of Netflix users are high-def early adopters, among them HD DVD appears to be favored over Blu-ray by a factor of more than two-to-one.Continue Reading
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 10:52 PM PDT by
Blockbuster says it will expand its high-def disc rental program by 1,450 stores in July, but in a blow to the HD DVD camp, each of the new stores will only carry Blu-ray.Continue Reading
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2007 at 10:02 PM PDT by
While we've seen plenty of reports of high-def discs hitting shelves days (and even weeks) ahead of time, apparently the opposite is also true, with some retailers and video rental stores reporting delayed shipments for HD DVD and Blu-ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006 at 01:37 PM PST by
After a week of rumors, Blockbuster has confirmed it will test Blu-ray and HD DVD rentals at select outlets nationwide starting immediately.Continue Reading
Posted Wed Nov 1, 2006 at 02:03 PM PST by
Struggling video rentailer Blockbuster may be testing the high-def waters this holiday season with a rumored expansion to HD DVD and Blu-ray in some of its most high-volume stores.Continue Reading
Posted Mon May 15, 2006 at 10:01 AM PDT by
With no fanfare, today Netflix has added the ability for its customers to set up their accounts to rent Blu-Ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 11:21 AM PDT by
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings is reaching out to all of the major Hollywood studios in an effort to bring an end to the high-def DVD format war.Continue Reading
- Posted Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:38 AM PDT by
Posted Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:49 AM PST by
With little fanfare, Netflix has added the ability for its customers to set up their accounts to rent HD-DVD discs. The company had announced earlier this year that it was planning to rent both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs this year.Continue Reading
As the weblog Hacking Netflix describes in detail, customers can access the setup option from the "Your Account" page, and after adjusting the preferred default format to DVD or HD-DVD, a new column called "Format" appears in their queue.
This news comes on the same day that Warner announced probable delays in its first HD-DVD disc releases, which were originally expected March 28. So while it's great for high-def DVD enthusiasts to have an HD-DVD rental option at Netflix, it will be even greater once there are actually a few titles available to rent. Here's hoping that's soon.
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 10:02 AM PST by
This morning, Netflix, the nation's leading online DVD rental service, announced they intend to offer HD-DVD discs to their customers beginning in March. The company also plays to support the upcoming Blu-Ray format when it is expected to launch sometime later in 2006.Continue Reading
The Netflix announcement is good news for early adopters of either format. Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs are expected to sell at a premium at launch, so a strong rental option will no doubt be a boon for those who want to enjoy their hot new high-def players but not have to pay $40 to own 'Mission: Impossible 2.'
LATEST NEWS BLU-RAY
- 'Interview with the Vampire: 20th Anniversary Edition' Announced for Blu-ray
- 'American Horror Story: Coven' Announced for Blu-ray
- 'Murdoch Mysteries: Season 7' Bound for Blu-ray
- 'The Hero of Color City' Blu-ray Dated
- 'Ironclad: Battle For Blood' Blu-ray Bound
- 'Under the Electric Sky' Blu-ray Announced
- 'Godzilla' Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D Up for Pre-Orders - Trampling Blu-ray Septmber 16th!
- 'The First Power' Announced for Blu-ray
- 'Gorky Park' Dated for Blu-ray
UPDATE: 'Titanfall' Frontier's Edge DLC Stream Ended, Release Date Revealed with Free Update Alongside
- Two Stylized Indies Announced for Cross-Buy August Release on PS4, PS3 and PS Vita
- GameStop Offering Half-Off Trade-In Deal for 'The Last of Us Remastered'
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Gets its Own 'Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes' Play Set
- UPDATE: It's over, Replay Within. HDD Livestream: The Xbox One 'Destiny' Beta
- Two Huge EA Games Delayed: 'Battlefield Hardline' and 'Dragon Age: Inquisition'
- 'Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas' Expansion is Live, All New Cards Revealed
- Here's How 'The Last of Us Remastered' is Updating Multiplayer
- 'Killzone Shadow Fall' Gets Two Free DLC Maps Today
- Over Two Hundred 'Forza Horizon 2' Cars Planned, First Half of List Revealed
- Denon Announces Pricing & Availability for Atmos Receivers
- Amazon Bolsters Prime Music Catalog
- Klipsch Releases Reference Branded Soundbar
- Samsung Details Price for 105-Inch 21:9 UHD TV
- FX Set to Stream 'The Simpsons'
- HDD Gear Deal Spotlight: Samsung Tablets
- MartinLogan Expands Motion Speaker Collection
- Amazon Reportedly Bringing Prime Instant Video to Android
- LG Debuts G3 Beat
THE BONUS VIEW
- ‘Under the Dome’ 2.04 Recap: “It’s Not God… It’s Darwin”
- Poll: Did You Ever Own a Laserdisc Player?
- ‘The Last Ship’ 1.05 Recap: Monkey Huntin’
- ‘True Blood’ 7.05 Recap: “Like Being Kicked in the Cooch by a Wallaby”
- ‘The Strain’ 1.02 Recap: “Welcome to the New World”
- Computers Are Magic – Win ‘Transcendence’ on Blu-ray
- Weekend Box Office: Primate Anarchy Reigns
- Blu-ray Highlights: Week of July 20th, 2014 – Like OMG, For Realsies?
- Weekend Roundtable: Hate-Watching TV