Posted Tue Apr 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM PDT by
Citing higher retail and wholesale prices, Netflix plans to implement a "modest monthly premium" for access to Blu-ray titles some time this year.Continue Reading
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 09:30 AM PST by
Online rentailer Netflix has announced it will drop support of the HD DVD format, and will exclusively stock Blu-ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM PDT by
A new report indicates that although only a tiny percentage of Netflix users are high-def early adopters, among them HD DVD appears to be favored over Blu-ray by a factor of more than two-to-one.Continue Reading
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 10:52 PM PDT by
Blockbuster says it will expand its high-def disc rental program by 1,450 stores in July, but in a blow to the HD DVD camp, each of the new stores will only carry Blu-ray.Continue Reading
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2007 at 10:02 PM PDT by
While we've seen plenty of reports of high-def discs hitting shelves days (and even weeks) ahead of time, apparently the opposite is also true, with some retailers and video rental stores reporting delayed shipments for HD DVD and Blu-ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006 at 01:37 PM PST by
After a week of rumors, Blockbuster has confirmed it will test Blu-ray and HD DVD rentals at select outlets nationwide starting immediately.Continue Reading
Posted Wed Nov 1, 2006 at 02:03 PM PST by
Struggling video rentailer Blockbuster may be testing the high-def waters this holiday season with a rumored expansion to HD DVD and Blu-ray in some of its most high-volume stores.Continue Reading
Posted Mon May 15, 2006 at 10:01 AM PDT by
With no fanfare, today Netflix has added the ability for its customers to set up their accounts to rent Blu-Ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 11:21 AM PDT by
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings is reaching out to all of the major Hollywood studios in an effort to bring an end to the high-def DVD format war.Continue Reading
- Posted Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:38 AM PDT by
Posted Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:49 AM PST by
With little fanfare, Netflix has added the ability for its customers to set up their accounts to rent HD-DVD discs. The company had announced earlier this year that it was planning to rent both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs this year.Continue Reading
As the weblog Hacking Netflix describes in detail, customers can access the setup option from the "Your Account" page, and after adjusting the preferred default format to DVD or HD-DVD, a new column called "Format" appears in their queue.
This news comes on the same day that Warner announced probable delays in its first HD-DVD disc releases, which were originally expected March 28. So while it's great for high-def DVD enthusiasts to have an HD-DVD rental option at Netflix, it will be even greater once there are actually a few titles available to rent. Here's hoping that's soon.
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 10:02 AM PST by
This morning, Netflix, the nation's leading online DVD rental service, announced they intend to offer HD-DVD discs to their customers beginning in March. The company also plays to support the upcoming Blu-Ray format when it is expected to launch sometime later in 2006.Continue Reading
The Netflix announcement is good news for early adopters of either format. Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs are expected to sell at a premium at launch, so a strong rental option will no doubt be a boon for those who want to enjoy their hot new high-def players but not have to pay $40 to own 'Mission: Impossible 2.'
LATEST NEWS BLU-RAY
- 'Journey to the West' Blu-ray Dated
- 'Black Nativity' Blu-ray Detailed
- 'The Andy Griffith Show: Season 1' Blu-ray Features Added
- 'Date and Switch' Heading to Blu-ray
- 'The Death Kiss' Blu-ray Announced
- 'Confession of Murder' Blu-ray Dated and Detailed
- 'Black Jack: 35th Anniversary Edition' Blu-ray Announced
- Enter to Win All Nine Best Picture-Nominated Films on Blu-ray!
- 'August: Osage County' Blu-ray Announced
- The Best Part of the Beautiful 'Child of Light' May be the Co-Op
- 'Infamous: Second Son' Looks Even Better Live Action
- 2K and Virgin Gaming Are Hosting a NBA 2K24 King of the Court Tournament
- Respawn Shares 'Titanfall' Season Pass Details
- Become Alucard in the Upcoming 'Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2: Revelations'
- Five Months After, Ubisoft Offers to Explain the Delay of 'Watch Dogs'
- Conan O'Brien Takes on the Rock In the Latest 'Clueless Gamer'
- Discover the Dramatic World of 'Dragon Age: Inquisition'
- Bandai Namco Sets A Date for 'Dark Souls II' On the PC
- Samsung Announces Release Date for Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 Tablet
- Sharp Releases AQUOS Q+ Series
- New Roku Streaming Stick Up for Pre-Order!
- HD Gear Review: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
- DISH Network and Disney Sign Major Deal
- Android Trumps Apple in 2013 Tablet Sales
- HDD Gear Deal Spotlight: Refurbished Soundbar and Blu-ray Player
- Onkyo & Imagination Technologies Team Up for Wireless Audio
- ABC Offers First Live Oscars Stream
THE BONUS VIEW
- Weekend Movies: The Way, WABAC
- Now Playing: Jay Ward’s Excellent Adventure
- Now Playing: Butlerless, Shirtless and Remorseless
- Now Playing: Grand ‘Hotel’
- Book Review: ‘Alien: Out of the Shadows’
- Poll: Favorite Wes Anderson Movie
- ‘Bates Motel’ 2.01 Recap: “You Spend Too Much Time in the Basement”
- Full Metal Jackets: Revenge of the Reel Heroes SteelBooks
- ‘True Detective’ 1.07 Recap: “You Have a Debt”