Posted Tue Apr 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM PDT by
Citing higher retail and wholesale prices, Netflix plans to implement a "modest monthly premium" for access to Blu-ray titles some time this year.Continue Reading
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 09:30 AM PST by
Online rentailer Netflix has announced it will drop support of the HD DVD format, and will exclusively stock Blu-ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM PDT by
A new report indicates that although only a tiny percentage of Netflix users are high-def early adopters, among them HD DVD appears to be favored over Blu-ray by a factor of more than two-to-one.Continue Reading
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 10:52 PM PDT by
Blockbuster says it will expand its high-def disc rental program by 1,450 stores in July, but in a blow to the HD DVD camp, each of the new stores will only carry Blu-ray.Continue Reading
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2007 at 10:02 PM PDT by
While we've seen plenty of reports of high-def discs hitting shelves days (and even weeks) ahead of time, apparently the opposite is also true, with some retailers and video rental stores reporting delayed shipments for HD DVD and Blu-ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006 at 01:37 PM PST by
After a week of rumors, Blockbuster has confirmed it will test Blu-ray and HD DVD rentals at select outlets nationwide starting immediately.Continue Reading
Posted Wed Nov 1, 2006 at 02:03 PM PST by
Struggling video rentailer Blockbuster may be testing the high-def waters this holiday season with a rumored expansion to HD DVD and Blu-ray in some of its most high-volume stores.Continue Reading
Posted Mon May 15, 2006 at 10:01 AM PDT by
With no fanfare, today Netflix has added the ability for its customers to set up their accounts to rent Blu-Ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 11:21 AM PDT by
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings is reaching out to all of the major Hollywood studios in an effort to bring an end to the high-def DVD format war.Continue Reading
- Posted Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:38 AM PDT by
Posted Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:49 AM PST by
With little fanfare, Netflix has added the ability for its customers to set up their accounts to rent HD-DVD discs. The company had announced earlier this year that it was planning to rent both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs this year.Continue Reading
As the weblog Hacking Netflix describes in detail, customers can access the setup option from the "Your Account" page, and after adjusting the preferred default format to DVD or HD-DVD, a new column called "Format" appears in their queue.
This news comes on the same day that Warner announced probable delays in its first HD-DVD disc releases, which were originally expected March 28. So while it's great for high-def DVD enthusiasts to have an HD-DVD rental option at Netflix, it will be even greater once there are actually a few titles available to rent. Here's hoping that's soon.
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 10:02 AM PST by
This morning, Netflix, the nation's leading online DVD rental service, announced they intend to offer HD-DVD discs to their customers beginning in March. The company also plays to support the upcoming Blu-Ray format when it is expected to launch sometime later in 2006.Continue Reading
The Netflix announcement is good news for early adopters of either format. Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs are expected to sell at a premium at launch, so a strong rental option will no doubt be a boon for those who want to enjoy their hot new high-def players but not have to pay $40 to own 'Mission: Impossible 2.'
LATEST NEWS BLU-RAY
- '24: Live Another Day' Dated & Detailed
- 'To All a Goodnight' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'The Girl Hunters' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Dated & Detailed
- 'Christmas in Connecticut' Announced for Blu-ray
- 'Dragonfly Squadron - 3D' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'The Squad' Announced for Blu-ray
- 'The Fault in Our Stars' Announced for Blu-ray
- 'Victim' Dated for Blu-ray
- Playable Villains Invade 'Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes'
- 'Twilight Gap' Multiplayer Map Revealed for 'Destiny' as Beta Shuts Down
- 'Disnhonored' Headlines Free Xbox Games with Gold in August
- Video Game Releases July 27- August 2: 'The Last of Us' on the PS4, 'Titanfall: Frontier's Edge,' 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and More
- Telltale Confirms Third Season of 'The Walking Dead'
- 'NES Remix Pack' Coming to Wii U
- The Cutscenes in 'Halo 2: Anniversary' are Jaw-Dropping
- True Art: See the Kangaroo Codpiece of 'Sunset Overdrive'
- 'The Last of Us Remastered' Photo Mode Detailed in Latest Footage
- NVIDIA Experimenting with Cascaded Displays
- Klipsch Unveils First Tier Reference Speakers
- VIZIO Adds Spotify to Smart TVs
- HDD Gear Deal Spotlight: HDTVs, Home Audio & Blu-ray Players
- DTS Reveals New Play-Fi Partnerships
- Denon Announces Pricing & Availability for Atmos Receivers
- Amazon Bolsters Prime Music Catalog
- Klipsch Releases Reference Branded Soundbar
- Samsung Details Price for 105-Inch 21:9 UHD TV
THE BONUS VIEW
- Weekend Box Office: You Got Some ‘Splainin To Do!
- Blu-ray Highlights: Week of July 27th, 2014 – My Log Has Something to Tell You
- Weekend Roundtable: 2014 Emmy Snubs
- Weekend Movies: A Whole Lotta Fluff
- ‘Hercules’ Review: Busted Myth
- ‘Lucy’ Review: Besson Goes Bonkers
- ‘A Most Wanted Man’ Review: The Pained Sadness of International Espionage
- ‘I Origins’ Review: Dumb Pun Title = Bad Movie
- Has Dolby Already Snuck Atmos Surround onto Blu-ray?