Posted Tue Apr 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM PDT by
Citing higher retail and wholesale prices, Netflix plans to implement a "modest monthly premium" for access to Blu-ray titles some time this year.Continue Reading
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 09:30 AM PST by
Online rentailer Netflix has announced it will drop support of the HD DVD format, and will exclusively stock Blu-ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM PDT by
A new report indicates that although only a tiny percentage of Netflix users are high-def early adopters, among them HD DVD appears to be favored over Blu-ray by a factor of more than two-to-one.Continue Reading
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 10:52 PM PDT by
Blockbuster says it will expand its high-def disc rental program by 1,450 stores in July, but in a blow to the HD DVD camp, each of the new stores will only carry Blu-ray.Continue Reading
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2007 at 10:02 PM PDT by
While we've seen plenty of reports of high-def discs hitting shelves days (and even weeks) ahead of time, apparently the opposite is also true, with some retailers and video rental stores reporting delayed shipments for HD DVD and Blu-ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006 at 01:37 PM PST by
After a week of rumors, Blockbuster has confirmed it will test Blu-ray and HD DVD rentals at select outlets nationwide starting immediately.Continue Reading
Posted Wed Nov 1, 2006 at 02:03 PM PST by
Struggling video rentailer Blockbuster may be testing the high-def waters this holiday season with a rumored expansion to HD DVD and Blu-ray in some of its most high-volume stores.Continue Reading
Posted Mon May 15, 2006 at 10:01 AM PDT by
With no fanfare, today Netflix has added the ability for its customers to set up their accounts to rent Blu-Ray discs.Continue Reading
Posted Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 11:21 AM PDT by
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings is reaching out to all of the major Hollywood studios in an effort to bring an end to the high-def DVD format war.Continue Reading
- Posted Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:38 AM PDT by
Posted Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 10:49 AM PST by
With little fanfare, Netflix has added the ability for its customers to set up their accounts to rent HD-DVD discs. The company had announced earlier this year that it was planning to rent both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs this year.Continue Reading
As the weblog Hacking Netflix describes in detail, customers can access the setup option from the "Your Account" page, and after adjusting the preferred default format to DVD or HD-DVD, a new column called "Format" appears in their queue.
This news comes on the same day that Warner announced probable delays in its first HD-DVD disc releases, which were originally expected March 28. So while it's great for high-def DVD enthusiasts to have an HD-DVD rental option at Netflix, it will be even greater once there are actually a few titles available to rent. Here's hoping that's soon.
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006 at 10:02 AM PST by
This morning, Netflix, the nation's leading online DVD rental service, announced they intend to offer HD-DVD discs to their customers beginning in March. The company also plays to support the upcoming Blu-Ray format when it is expected to launch sometime later in 2006.Continue Reading
The Netflix announcement is good news for early adopters of either format. Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs are expected to sell at a premium at launch, so a strong rental option will no doubt be a boon for those who want to enjoy their hot new high-def players but not have to pay $40 to own 'Mission: Impossible 2.'
LATEST NEWS BLU-RAY
- Jess Franco's 'She Killed In Ecstasy' & 'Vampyros Lesbos' Are Bound for Blu-ray
- 'The Congress' Starring Robin Wright Detailed for Blu-ray
- 'Keep on Keepin' On' Blu-ray Announced
- 'Midsomer Murders: Set 25' Will Unravel on Blu-ray in February
- Casey La Scala's 'The Remaining' Announced for Blu-ray
- HBO Readies 'Olive Kitteridge' for Blu-ray in February
- Eckhart Schmidt's 1982 Thriller 'The Fan' Planned for Blu-ray
- 'God Told Me To' Blu-ray Fully Detailed
- Blue Underground Prepping Luigi Bazzoni's 'Man, Pride and Vengeance' for Blu-ray
- The Contingencies of Handsome Jack- See Exactly What Gearbox Thinks of 'Tales From the Borderlands'
- 'Ori and the Blind Forest' Has a New 60FPS Trailer - Has Been Pushed Back to Early 2015
- ASTRO Gaming & 343 Studios Designed Skullcandy SLYR Halo Edition for Xbox One Available Now
- The PS4 Version of 'Amplitude' Will Be Playable at the PlayStation Experience
- 'Sunset Overdrive' Free-to-Play Tomorrow for Xbox Live Gold Members
- Cersei's Wrath Threatens Us All, Telltale Games Has Released the Premiere Trailer for 'Game of Thrones: A Telltale Series - Iron From Ice'
- Spoiler Alert: 'Destiny Expansion I: The Dark Below' Opening Cinematic Leaks, Reveals Likely Raid Target
- Play Ubisoft's 'The Crew' for Free During the Upcoming Open Beta on the PS4 & Xbox One
- Mewtwo Will Be Available as Paid DLC for 'Super Smash Bros.' for the Wii U & 3DS
- Amazon Rumored to Be Prepping an Ad-Supported Streaming Service
- HDD Gear Deal Spotlight: Klipsch Subwoofers up to 50 Percent Off & Upcoming Lightning Deal!
- Denon Details Flagship AVR-X7200W A/V Receiver with Dolby Atmos for $2,999
- Corning Unveils Gorilla Glass 4 with Improved Mobile Screen Protection from Drops
- HDD Gear Deal Spotlight: Sony Speakers up to 36 Percent Off!
- Best Buy Licenses Sharp Brand for Affordable LED HDTV Line
- Disney Movies Anywhere Adds VUDU Support, Offering Disney, Pixar & Marvel Digital Titles
- HDD Gear Deal Spotlight: Seiki HDTVs up to 68 Percent Off!
- JVC's 85-Inch 4K TV with Local Dimming Will Hit Stores in January for $7,999
THE BONUS VIEW
- Weekend Movies: Mock of Ages
- ‘The Homesman’ Review: Depression Goes West
- R.I.P. Mike Nichols
- ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1′ Review: Half a Movie, But a Good Half
- ‘The Flash’ 1.06 Recap: “Looks Like You Were Born to Take a Beating”
- ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ 2.08 Recap: “Discovery Requires Experimentation”
- ‘The Newsroom’ 3.02 Recap: “You Walked Right Past the Waffles”
- ‘Gotham’ 1.09 Recap: “A Trustworthy Lawyer… in Gotham??”
- ‘Walking Dead’ Poll: Should Daryl and Carol Hook Up?