Ready to slay a god?
Today, Atlus USA has released a new trailer for their upcoming 3DS JRPG 'Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse' showing off the battle system and its myriad mechanics, you can get a look at the trailer right here:
Atlus describes the game as follows:
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse features:
• The Eternal Struggle Between Gods– The Shin Megami Tensei series, known for exploring the tenuous symbiosis between man and deity , reaches deeper than ever in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, as the band of main characters must decide which side of peace or anarchy they are on.
• Partner Up for Success – A new twist on the SMTIV combat formula allows players to bring one of seven partners to battle (in addition to the standard three demons), each with their own unique skills and AI. Plus, partners will fill up a meter that will interrupt the enemy, do massive damage, and give players an extra turn. Given the excruciating difficulty of battles in Shin Megami Tensei, the partner system will allow for new player strategies.
• Demons Aplenty – Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse has a series record 450+ demons to fight, fuse, or recruit to player parties. With demons from a wide selection of cultures and religions to choose from, players will be able to customize their party to their liking.
• Fuse For Affinities – Demon fusion, combining two or more demons to form a more powerful one, is one of the cornerstones of Shin Megami Tensei games, and now demons will have affinities for certain skills, giving players more decisions to make about which skills fusions will inherit.
• Press Turns and Smirking – The Press Turn system returns, which gives players (or enemies!) extra turns for exploiting weaknesses. The Smirk system returns as well, which gives huge offensive and defensive boosts to party members (or enemies) and now unlocks bonuses for certain skills, such as insta-kill attacks.
This looks really fantastic. 'Shin Megami Tensei IV' is one of my absolute favorite RPGs of the last few years, and a return to its world and systems is really exciting to me. The return to a more anarchic tone is really cool, and everything shown for the game so far has been absolutely wonderful. I'm really pumped to finally get my hands on this when it hits on September 20th.
Source: Atlus USA