Bringing another IMAX classic to Blu-ray and HD DVD, Warner Home Entertainment has announced a July 10 next-gen release for 'Blue Planet.'
The IMAX favorite was one of the earliest successes for the large-format attraction back in 1990. Warner will give 'Blue Planet' a new 1080p remastered transfer, and high-resolution audio. The HD DVD version will include a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track, while the Blu-ray will enjoy an uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround mix (both at 48kHz/16-bit).
Extras include a bonus IMAX feature, "The Dream is Alive!", which has also been remastered in 1080p.
'Blue Planet' is the latest in what seems to be a growing push by the studios to bring an increasing number of large-format IMAX and documentary titles to high-def. 'Blue Planet' follows Disney's announcement last week of another IMAX space-themed title, 'Roving Mars.'
Warner is also bringing 'Blue Planet' to high-def following its hits 'March of the Penguins' and the BBC's 'Planet Earth: The Complete Collection,' which became quite a sales surprise earlier this month when it quickly became one of the biggest-selling HD DVD and Blu-ray titles in the history of either format.
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- IMAX: Blue Planet (Blu-ray)
- IMAX: Roving Mars (Blu-ray)
- Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series (Blu-ray)
- March of the Penguins (Blu-ray)
- IMAX: Blue Planet (HD DVD)
- Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series (HD DVD)
- March of the Penguins (HD DVD)