|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Verizon is Working on a Streaming Service for Everyone
Tags: Verizon, Netflix, Streaming (all tags)
Unlike most others, this service won't be limited to just FiOS subscribers.
When cable and satellite companies talk about streaming video, they're usually focused on people that are already giving them money through subscriptions. Verizon is looking at things a little bit differently.
According to reports, Verizon is in talks to create a Netflix like service that anyone can subscribe to - not just existing Verizon customers. In fact, the target would be those that are outside the existing market and can't subscribe to FiOS.
Initially, say sources speaking to Reuters, the service will be small-scale and focus on content from Stars, Epix and similar movie services. It's expected to launch in 2012. Pricing is still speculative, but we're expecting that they'll be trying to go a bit cheaper than Netflix in an effort to sway customers away.
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- 'The Shadow: Collector's Edition' Blu-ray Announced
- NimbleTV Brings Streaming Cable to New York City Customers
- 'Baggage Claim' Dated and Detailed for Blu-ray
- AllSeen Alliance Forms to Advance Seamless Device Sharing and Integration
- 'I'm in Love with a Church Girl' Blu-ray Features Detailed
- More High-Def Disc News...