|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Fox Speaks Out on 'Silver Surfer,' 'Day After Tomorrow' Blu-ray Playback Problems
Tags: Technical Glitches, Fox (all tags)
Fox Home Entertainment acknowledged playback issues with its 'Rise of the Silver Surfer' and 'Day After Tomorrow' discs on select Blu-ray players late Thursday, but laid the blame squarely on the shoulders of hardware manufacturers.
As we first reported yesterday, the new BD+ encrypted discs are apparently incompatible with two Blu-ray players (the Samsung BD-1200 and LG's BH100), while delayed load times of up to two minutes have been reported on other players.
Although Fox had no comment when we first broke the story yesterday, a studio rep told Video Business that Fox was aware of the problem, but emphasized that it was confined to a limited number of players.
Steve Feldstein, Fox senior VP of marketing communications advised that consumers having difficulties should contact manufacturer support lines directly.
"We are releasing more and more advanced interactive titles, and consumers should lobby their hardware manufacturers to release firmware upgrades post haste," said Feldstein.
Calls placed to both Samsung and LG customer support revealed that both manufacturers are working on firmware updates to correct the problem. Samsung promised a firmware update within "a couple weeks," while LG said an update is expected in 2-3 days.
We'll keep you posted on any further developments in this story. In the meantime, we've set up a dedicated thread in our Forums area to discuss playback problems with both the 'Silver Surfer' and 'Day After Tomorrow' discs.
- Related links:
- Fox points to hardware for Silver Surfer Blu-ray problems [Video Business]
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer (Blu-ray)
- The Day After Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- Playback Problems Reported on 'Silver Surfer,' 'Day After Tomorrow' Blu-ray Discs (Oct 04, 2007)
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- HDD Deal of the Week: 'Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series' Blu-ray $59.99 at Amazon!
- Weekend Roundtable: 2013 Xmas Wish List
- Samsung Rumored to be Developing AMOLED Tablets
- 'Captain Phillips' Blu-ray Dated and Detailed
- Kinect, Microtransactions, and Turkeys Collide on the Xbox One
- More High-Def Disc News...