|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Only Half of Smart TVs are Connected to the Internet
Tags: Smart TVs, NPD (all tags)
According to a recent study, only 60% of those with connected sets use them for streaming.
The NPD group conducted a poll recently detailing the use of smart TV features and found that a surprising amount of people aren't even touching them. Half of smart TV owners don't even have their sets connected to the internet, meaning they have a whole feature set that they aren't even looking at.
Of the 50% of people that actually have their sets connected, 60% use them to watch streaming content while only 10% use their sets for other online activities like casual games, Facebook, reading ebooks and video calling – a surprising number considering how hard companies pushed Skype a few years back.
The big question of course is why. It's unclear from the data whether these folks are getting their content somewhere else or simply ignoring connected features. Set-top boxes and HTPCs were not accounted for in the study.
Source: Home Media Magazine
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- Weekend Roundtable: One Sequel Too Many
- 'Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season' Blu-ray Date and Pre-Orders Live
- 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' and 'Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'Blood and Sand' Blu-ray Announced
- Theatrical Review: 'Fast & Furious 6'
- More High-Def Disc News...