|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
PS3 Getting a 3D Update in June – But it won’t do 3D Blu-rays
Tags: Sony, PlayStation 3, 3D, Industry Trends (all tags)
We’re about two months out from the first 3D firmware update for the Playstation 3, but it’s games only for now.
If you’re a PS3 owner hoping to start watching 3D Blu-rays by the time this summer rolls around, you’re out of luck. Sony is releasing a 3D update for the PS3 in just two months, but it’s only handling games for now.
It doesn’t seem like you’ll have to wait too long though. Sony has promised 3D Blu-ray compatibility this year, and all signs point to a fall release for the update. The move is almost certainly designed to spur the sale of 3D Blu-ray players, since ‘Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs’ will be hitting shelves (in Europe at least) in June.
The new update will enable users to play 3D games though, including new 3D versions of Wipeout HD, Pain, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Super Stardust HD.
Source: Home Cinema Choice
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- Weekend Roundtable: Parental Guidance Suggested
- Details Spread for 'Dead Rising 3' DLC Episode 'Operation Broken Eagle'
- LG's Gesture and Speech Recognition Technology Receives UL Certification
- Turn 10 Plans to Overall Both Credit Payouts and Car Prices in 'Forza 5'
- 'Sabrina (1954)' Announced for Blu-ray
- More High-Def Disc News...