|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
New 'Star Trek' HD DVD Details Revealed
Tags: TV on High-Def, Paramount (all tags)
Fresh details have surfaced for the highly-anticipated high-def disc release of 'Star Trek: The Original Series,' with the set now expected to include never-before-seen footage exclusive to the next-gen edition.
It was nearly a year ago that Paramount Home Entertainment first revealed plans to release 'Star Trek' on HD DVD, coinciding with the 40th anniversary of the sci-fi classic. At the time, the studio said the new release would feature a host of new GGI enhancements, among them redone spaceship exteriors, a rejiggered opening and even a digitally remastered version of William Shatner's classic 38-word "Space, the final frontier..." credit monologue.
Now comes news that the high-def release will also include never-before-seen behind-the-scenes 8mm footage taken during the original production of the series.
Though Paramount has yet to announce an official street date for 'The Original Series,' the just-published program guide for this year's Comic-Con reveals that the studio is planning to give convention attendees a first peek at footage from the long-awaited release on July 26 at a special event dubbed "Star Trek: The Original Series - As You've Never Seen It," which is also slated to include a panel of 'Trek' luminaries.
Strangely, Paramount has made no mention of a Blu-ray release of the series (only HD DVD), although since the studio supports both next-gen formats, we can only assume that the set will ultimately find its way to Blu-ray, as well. More details are expected to be revealed at ComiCon. Watch this space!
In anticipation of an official announcement for 'The Original Series,' we've added the title to the "Release Dates Pending" section of our HD DVD Release Schedule.
- Related links:
- Comic-Con 2007: Programming for Thursday, July 26 [Comic-Con.org]
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- Paramount Confirms 'Star Trek' HD Remaster (Aug 31, 2006)
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- Details Spread for 'Dead Rising 3' DLC Episode 'Operation Broken Eagle'
- LG's Gesture and Speech Recognition Technology Receives UL Certification
- Turn 10 Plans to Overall Both Credit Payouts and Car Prices in 'Forza 5'
- 'Sabrina (1954)' Announced for Blu-ray
- DirecTV Considers Online Video Service
- More High-Def Disc News...