|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
National Geographic Makes Move to Blu-ray Exclusivity (UPDATED)
Tags: Industry Trends, National Geographic (all tags) UPDATE: (12:25pm ET, January 30, 2008) Please note that this move to Blu-ray exclusivity covers films released under the "National Geographic Presents" shingle only. Films co-produced by National Geographic but distributed by other companies (such as Paramount's 'Arctic Tale') will be unaffected.
Warner's move to Blu-ray exclusivity has swayed yet another distribution partner to follow suit, with National Geographic confirming that it too will drop HD DVD support in favor of Blu-ray.
Distributed under the Warner umbrella along with New Line Home Entertainment, HBO Home Video and BBC Home Video, National Geographic had been format-neutral, releasing only one title thus far, 'Relentless Enemies,' on both Blu-ray and HD DVD.
Although the company says it has no plans to issue an official statement or press release, a spokesperson confirmed for us that moving forward, National Geographic will no longer release titles in the HD DVD format.
National Geographic's decision comes in the wake of moves by Warner subsidiaries New Line and HBO to shift to Blu-ray exclusivity. BBC is now the only Warner-distributed company to remain format-neutral.
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- National Geographic: Relentless Enemies (Blu-ray)
- National Geographic: Relentless Enemies (HD DVD)
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- New Line Details Transition to Blu-ray (Jan 08, 2008)
- HBO Confirms Switch to Blu-ray Exclusivity (Jan 09, 2008)
- BBC to Continue Dual-Format Support (Jan 16, 2008)
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- 'I'm in Love with a Church Girl' Blu-ray Features Detailed
- HDD Deal of the Day: 'The Dark Knight Trilogy' Blu-ray $19.99 at Amazon
- Videogame Releases: Week of December 8th, 2013
- 'More Than Honey' Blu-ray Announced
- 'Treme: The Complete Fourth Season' & 'Treme: The Complete Series' Dated for Blu-ray
- More High-Def Disc News...