|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
'Metropolis' Coming to Blu-ray in 2009
Tags: Disc Announcements, Kino International (all tags)
There's no date yet, but Kino International says it is planning to bring the Fritz Lang classic 'Metropolis' to Blu-ray in early 2009.
Oft-cited as an inspiration for everything from 'Star Wars' to 'Blade Runner' to '2001: A Space Odyssey,' 1927's 'Metropolis' has had a lasting influence on the genre and, with a budget equivalent of nearly $200 million today, is widely considered to be the first true cinematic spectacle ever produced.
Although the film's legacy has long been marred by poor quality early video editions, the film was rescued by a glorious, frame-by-frame restoration in 2002. Though the company has yet to commit to a hard release date, they have confirmed that a first-ever Blu-ray edition will kick off the indie's just-announced next-gen support in early 2009
There are no tech specs or supplemental details available as of yet, but the previous DVD was loaded with extras so expectations remain high. We'll certainly keep you posted as soon as more details come to us.
In the meantime, we've added 'Metropolis' to the "Release Dates Pending" section of our Blu-ray Release Schedule. Stay tuned!
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- Blade Runner (Ultimate Collector's Ed.) (Blu-ray)
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu-ray)
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- Kino International to Go Blu this Fall (May 09, 2008)
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- 'The Shadow: Collector's Edition' Blu-ray Announced
- NimbleTV Brings Streaming Cable to New York City Customers
- 'Baggage Claim' Dated and Detailed for Blu-ray
- AllSeen Alliance Forms to Advance Seamless Device Sharing and Integration
- 'I'm in Love with a Church Girl' Blu-ray Features Detailed
- More High-Def Disc News...