|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
PS3 Gets DTS-HD Master Audio Upgrade
Tags: PlayStation 3, Firmware Upgrades (all tags)
After months of anticipation, Sony and DTS have announced plans to add DTS-HD Master Audio output for Blu-ray to the PlayStation 3 via firmware upgrade early next week.
Capable of delivering audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master at super high variable bit rates, DTS-HD Master Audio has been included in several stand-alone Blu-ray players, but its availability on the PS3 will for the first time bring full spectrum premium audio to the masses.
Note that DTS-HD Master Audio tracks are not included in all Blu-ray disc releases, but DTS says there are now more than one hundred DTS-HD MA titles on the market, including all of Fox's Blu-ray releases. (Check the "disc details" section on the left hand side of each of our Blu-ray reviews to see whether your favorite titles are Master Audio-enabled.)
The new PS3 firmware update (version 2.30) will be available for download on April 15th.
Thanks to everyone who sent in tips related to this story.
- Related links:
- DTS-HD Master Audio Now Available For PlayStation 3 Computer Entertainment System [Press Release]
- Firmware (v.2.30) Details and Store Walkthrough [PlayStation.Blog]
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- HDD Deal of the Week: 'Gettysburg / Gods and Generals: Limited Collector's Edition' Blu-ray $33.99 at Amazon
- "Mastered in 4K" and the Road to Ultra HD
- Weekend Roundtable: Into Darkness
- 'The Borgias: The Complete Third Season' Blu-ray Dated and Detailed
- Reminder: 'Texas Chainsaw 3D' Contest Ends Today
- More High-Def Disc News...