|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
'American Gangster' HD DVD Tops VideoScan's Weekly High-Def Disc Sales Chart
Tags: Disc Sales, Universal (all tags)
Blu-ray may have officially won the high-def format war last week, but in a strange twist, the top selling high-def disc of the week was an HD DVD release.
Yes, you read right. Universal's 'American Gangster' -- released on the same day that Toshiba announced it would drop HD DVD support -- topped Neilsen VideoScan's First Alert high-def disc charts for the week ending February 24, 2008, outselling the top Blu-ray release ('Michael Clayton') by nearly 2:1.
Of course, the remaining nine titles on VideoScan's high-def best sellers chart were all Blu-ray titles, giving the format yet another weekly win in overall sales, with Blu-ray commanding 77% of all high-def disc sales for the week. (Thanks to Robert for the correction!)
A complete list of VideoScan's top ten high-def best sellers for the week follows below: (click linked titles to read our reviews)
1. American Gangster (HD DVD); INDEX: 100
2. Michael Clayton (Blu-ray); INDEX: 62.24
3. The Rock (Blu-ray); INDEX: 27.26
4. Cars (Blu-ray); INDEX: 26.18
5. We Own the Night (Blu-ray); INDEX: 24.29
6. Planet Earth (Blu-ray); INDEX: 22.69
7. Con Air (Blu-ray); INDEX: 21.37
8. Gone Baby Gone (Blu-ray); INDEX: 19.89
9. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Blu-ray); INDEX: 19.26
10. Crimson Tide (Blu-ray); INDEX: 18.28
- Related links:
- American Gangster Tops Hidef Media Chart Week Ending Feb 24 [Format War Central]
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- Toshba Officially Drops HD DVD (Feb 19, 2008)
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- HDD Deal of the Week: 'Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series' Blu-ray $59.99 at Amazon!
- Weekend Roundtable: 2013 Xmas Wish List
- Samsung Rumored to be Developing AMOLED Tablets
- 'Captain Phillips' Blu-ray Dated and Detailed
- Kinect, Microtransactions, and Turkeys Collide on the Xbox One
- More High-Def Disc News...