|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Who Ya Gonna Call? 'Ghostbusters' on Blu-ray this June
Tags: Disc Announcements, Sony, CES 2009 (all tags)
After months of speculation, Sony has at last confirmed a June Blu-ray debut for the '80s blockbuster 'Ghostbusters.'
One of the most highly-requested titles in the studio's vault since the launch of the Blu-ray format, Sony will release the comedy classic in a long-awaited 25th Anniversary Edition on June 16, day-and-date with a new DVD re-issue.
The confirmation comes after months of painful delays for fans, with Sony originally touting a 'Ghostbusters' Blu release at last year's Comic-Con, only to quickly vaporize a planned October release just a few weeks later.
Newly-remastered, 'Ghostbusters' will be presented on a BD-50 dual-layer disc in 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video. At press time, there are no confirmed audio formats, but we'll keep you posted.
Features exclusive to the 25th Anniversary Blu-ray include the "Slimer Mode" picture-in-picture "Graphical Viewing Experience" which includes an examination of the spook-hunters' firehouse headquarters, an in-depth exploration of the creatures in the Ghostbusters mythology, behind-the-scenes discussions of making the movie, and new cast, crew and special effects artists interviews. Also new is the featurette "Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car," the "Ghostbusters Garage" still gallery and a collectible 32-page booklet.
Extras carried over from the previous DVD edition include audio commentary with Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, and Joe Medjuck, a trio of featurettes ("1984 – The Making of Ghostbusters," "Interviews with Cast and Crew," "SFX Team"), deleted scenes and storyboard comparisons.
Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $38.95.
At press time, Sony has not announced a Blu-ray release for 'Ghostbusters II,' but we'll let you know of any further updates.
You'll find the latest specs for 'Ghostbusters' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under its new date of June 16.
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- Ghostbusters (Blu-ray)
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- No 'Ghostbusters' on Blu in 2008 (Sep 09, 2008)
- Sony Previews 'Ghostbusters' Blu-ray Plans at Comic-Con (Jul 23, 2008)
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- 'The Shadow: Collector's Edition' Blu-ray Announced
- NimbleTV Brings Streaming Cable to New York City Customers
- 'Baggage Claim' Dated and Detailed for Blu-ray
- AllSeen Alliance Forms to Advance Seamless Device Sharing and Integration
- 'I'm in Love with a Church Girl' Blu-ray Features Detailed
- More High-Def Disc News...