|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
Blizzard is Cutting 600 Staff Members
Tags: Blizzard, Industry Trends, Layoffs, World of Warcraft (all tags)
According to GamesIndustry.biz, only 60 of those jobs are in any way related to gave development.
That's a scary headline, especially considering that the seemingly unstoppable gaming company has been showing signs of slowing. Warcraft subscribers are down since last year and BlizzCon has been cancelled, so it's easy to see doom if you're looking for it.
Now Blizzard is cutting a significant portion of its staff. Before you get too worked up about the future of the company's popular franchises, it should be noted that 90% of those employees are unrelated to internal development. There are a lot of people working at Blizzard, from tech support to cafeteria staff, and while no one is happy about people being laid off it does say something far different if most of the layoffs come from non-development staff. The 'World of Warcraft' team will be completely spared from these layoffs.
"Over the last several years, we've grown our organisation tremendously and made large investments in our infrastructure in order to better serve our global community," says CEO Mike Morhaime. " However, as Blizzard and the industry have evolved we've also had to make some difficult decisions in order to address the changing needs of our company."
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- Weekend Roundtable: One Sequel Too Many
- 'Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season' Blu-ray Date and Pre-Orders Live
- 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' and 'Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'Blood and Sand' Blu-ray Announced
- Theatrical Review: 'Fast & Furious 6'
- More High-Def Disc News...