|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
The Ouya Is Up for Preorder at Major Retailers Ahead of Its June Release Date
Tags: Ouya, Android (all tags)
Ouya console and controller available for $99.99.
Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman told the Wall Street Journal "We need to carve out our own niche."
With 68,000+ consoles on order after the $8.5 million Kickstarter campaign, the Ouya will attempt to replicate and extend the mobile game marketplace in the home. The system is built and marketed around being open to customization and custom use. Even the system's additional controllers, available for $49.99, can be purchased and used for other Bluetooth compatible systems.
System backers will get their orders in March, well ahead of the official June launch. "Ouya offers a very different value proposition to the gaming you can currently experience. It's a box designed specifically for the television that leverages the screen, we support 3D gaming, HD, we support the controller, we added a touchpad to the controller. The kind of content you'll see on Ouya, it'll be inventive and creative and has never been on the television... We’re bringing the best screen and the best device to interact with that by creating a platform that is open... We’ve had 68,000 backers, we have more than that in pre-orders today."
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- Weekend Roundtable: One Sequel Too Many
- 'Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season' Blu-ray Date and Pre-Orders Live
- 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' and 'Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'Blood and Sand' Blu-ray Announced
- Theatrical Review: 'Fast & Furious 6'
- More High-Def Disc News...