|HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS||Receive High-Def Disc News via RSS|
The 3D Blu-ray Update for PS3 Is Coming This September
Tags: PlayStation 3, 3D (all tags)
Only two firmware updates to go until Sony's game system and Blu-ray player gets the full 3D treatment.
Think what you will of the device as a game system. Whether you love it or hate it, you've got to admit that the PlayStation 3 remains one of the best values in Blu-ray. It's regularly updated with new firmware, and it's the oldest Blu-ray player that's getting 3D tech enabled.
In just two months, the PS3 is getting the update that makes it compatible with 3D Blu-ray discs, again securing it as a fantastic multipurpose Blu-ray player and game system. But as Mick Hocking of Sony's Computer Entertainment division says, movies may not be the big thing for 3D.
"We think games are going to be the killer content for 3D,' says Hocking. "In general, we find that 3D enhances all types of games. There are no types that it doesn't bring a benefit to."
It's a big claim which is going to need to stand up to critics before consumers are swayed to shell out the money for a 3D setup.
- Most Recent High-Def Disc Headlines:
- Weekend Roundtable: One Sequel Too Many
- 'Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season' Blu-ray Date and Pre-Orders Live
- 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' and 'Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'Blood and Sand' Blu-ray Announced
- Theatrical Review: 'Fast & Furious 6'
- More High-Def Disc News...