Man-eating sharks, man-eating zombies, zombie-eating sharks, and shark-eating zombies… ALL IN ONE MOVIE! That’s right, Arrow Video in the UK is prepping Lucio Fulci’s gory cult classic ‘Zombie Flesh Eaters’ (a.k.a. ‘Zombi 2′) for a SteelBook release this November!
From the official film synopsis:
THEY WILL RISE TO SUCK THE BLOOD OF THE LIVING!
From the sleazy video nasty vaults comes a movie so stained with controversy and moral indignation that the very mention of its name sends shudders down the spines of the weak stomached and censorious – Zombie Flesh Eaters. A gut-munching, shark wrestling, eye-gouging orgy of topless skin divers, mud-caked undead terror and Italian splatter from the dark imagination of horror genius Lucio Fulci (The Beyond, City of The Living Dead).
An abandoned boat in New York Harbour unleashes a deadly flesh crazed Zombie cargo… A Young American woman and a journalist investigate a tropical island where a deadly disease is making the dead walk… Soon, thoughts of getting to the bottom of the murderous curse will be forgotten, as Fulci’s walking corpses overwhelm the living and reports come in that the Big Apple is swarming with the living dead…
After over thirty years, Zombie Flesh Eaters still has the power to shock and offend the unwilling… Check out this classic ‘sadist video’ and revel in a wonderfully offensive movie that once helped usher in a moral panic!
The SteelBook features limited edition artwork by Graham Humphreys. The zombie fan in me is seriously considering ordering this one. Here’s a closer look. (Click the image below to enlarge.)
Supplements for this particular release will include:
- Brand new high definition restoration of the original negative
- Optional English SDH subtitles on the feature
- Audio commentaries with screenwriter Elisa Briganti moderated by Calum Waddell and Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower and horror expert Alan Jones
- UK exclusive introduction to the film from Ian McCulloch
- ALIENS, CANNIBALS AND ZOMBIES: A TRILOGY OF ITALIAN TERROR: Actor Ian McCulloch remembers his three classics of Latin horror lunacy – ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CONTAMINATION and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
- FROM ROMERO TO ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE ITALIAN ZOMBIE FILM: Veteran Fulci screenwriters Dardano Sacchetti (THE BEYOND) and Antonio Tentori (CAT IN THE BRAIN), celebrated UK critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Luigi Cozzi (CONTAMINATION), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Russ Streiner (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) plus many more share memories of the genesis of corpse-crunching cinema – from Romero’s early templates to the gory glory days of Fulci and his many successors.
- THE MEAT MUNCHING MOVIES OF GINO ROSSI: The special effects magician behind many Italian splatter classics talks about his most famous gore-drenched greats – and shows props from many plasma-packed masterworks – including ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CANNIBAL FEROX, BURIAL GROUND and PIRANHA II.
- ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS – FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN: Dardano Sacchetti shows key pages from his original ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD screenplay.
- Trailer and radio spots
- Collector’s booklet featuring contributions from Calum Waddell, Stephen Thrower, Craig Lapper and Jay Slater.
- More to be announced closer to the time!
The ‘Zombie Flesh Eaters’ SteelBook packaging release will be available on November 26th. The Blu-ray is apparently region-free. However, the press materials also mention PAL, so note that the disc still may not play properly on North American equipment. This SteelBook can be pre-ordered directly from Arrow Video for £17.99 (approximately $28 USD).